[riot-devel] NSTF - Naming the stack

Hauke Petersen hauke.petersen at fu-berlin.de
Mon May 4 16:05:54 CEST 2015

Hi everyone,

giving the ng_stack a name sounds like a very good idea to me (and as
far as I remembered I already mentioned this last summer...). Though
finding a name is tough and I don't like the obvious once (flexnet_,
default_, riotnet_, etc...).

Also 'cutting' out the re-usable parts as headers, header parsing,
checksum calculation and some others might make sense, though with this
I think we have to keep in mind, that not every network stack
implementation has to use those 'generic' building blocks, as these
implementations might have their own requirements to certain function
signatures etc...

When it comes to protocol header files, as 'net/udp.h', I would be even
more careful. I don't think we will have a generic udp header, that each
network stack will comply to. In my opinion, each network stack should
just define it's own header files, as these will differ depending on
their internal implementation...

The only important thing is, that we will have a clearly defined
interface for applications (e.g. RIOT sockets, CoAP or whatever).

So I would say: let's find a name?!

Cheers,
Hauke