[riot-devel] Fwd: 64bit and multi core support

Alex Mavrin alexeymavrin at gmail.com
Fri May 8 01:52:29 CEST 2015

Hi Kaspar,

Yeah this is very interesting project!:) It is custom board with multi core
ARMv8 (64bit) CPU (SMP system). We need some simple, very minimalistic OS
we could use for hardware testing and bring up. Main use case would be
sequential HW testing (e.g. registers read/write, interrupts handling,
calls to trust zone, etc.) on multiple cores. We also look at minimizing
effort needed to port this OS if newer hardware is available.

In addition, we are very excited that C++ is available on RIOT!

We do consider using Linux. However, we would prefer something basic.

So again this is the list of questions, we hope you could help us answer ;)

    1. Does RIOT support 64bit memory addressing? For example if I build
“hello-world” sample project on native platform then 32bit binary
generated. Is it possible to build it for 64bit? Have this been tested?

    2. Does RIOT support multi core? I.e. scheduling threads on different
cores, synchronizing threads running on different cores? Have this been
done before?

    3. If using C++, can we use exceptions? Is it possible to use C++11 if
compiler supports it?

Best Regards,

Alex

--