[riot-devel] Fwd: 64bit and multi core support

DangNhat PhamHuu phamhuudangnhat at gmail.com
Fri May 8 06:19:56 CEST 2015

Hi Alex,

> 3. If using C++, can we use exceptions? Is it possible to use C++11 if
compiler supports it?

About the C++ part, could you tell me what you intend to do with C++?

If you want to port RIOT using C++ you may find some troubles when try to
compile RIOT's code with C++ compiler. The C++ support in RIOT's build
system was mainly designed to support only the user application, which
could be written in C++, to build with RIOT (which is written in C). Thus,
you might need to modify the build system somehow to build your C++ code
(which is a part of the OS not the application code) and combine with other
parts of RIOT. Exceptions and C++11 should be available if you successfully
combine C++ port code with RIOT but no guarantee about this.

If you want use C++ for the application, in general, we didn't hard-code to
eliminate exceptions so you're free to add exceptions to your compiling
flags. I have been using C++11 on Cortex-M3 for a while so it should be
fine if compiler can support it. But I can't guarantee anythings again,
because development an OS on ARMv8 is quite different from the
micro-controller world which RIOT mainly designed for, AFAIK. If you're
successful with your port then it will be a very interesting one.

Cheers,
Nhat.

/**
 * @Name: Phạm Hữu Đăng Nhật
 * Teaching Assistant - Department of Computer Engineering
 * Ho Chi Minh city University of Technology
 * @Mobile: 0164.968.2716
 */