[riot-devel] Fwd: 64bit and multi core support

Ludwig Ortmann ludwig.ortmann at fu-berlin.de
Fri May 8 06:53:52 CEST 2015

Hi Alex,

RIOT does not offer either.

When I first wrote the native platform, I tried to support 64 bit but there were so many issues that I just chose to ignore it as there were no 64 bit platforms on the roadmap anyways.
Since then two things changed:
First, much work has gone into making integer types more explicit. Second, the native platform is relatively stable and offers valgrind support, so I think it could be used to make RIOT 64 bit safe relatively quickly.

As for the scheduler - I'm not aware of any attempts at multicore support, but RIOT is very modular, so the scheduler could be changed/replaced with little trouble.

Cheers,
Ludwig