[riot-devel] Network API task force

Oleg Hahm oliver.hahm at inria.fr
Fri May 8 12:36:13 CEST 2015

Hi!

> If you agree that we need an API for embedded use, would you agree that
> this API should be the one that all RIOT internal libraries (e.g., for
> CoAP) should use?

I still wonder how sensible this is. To me, it seems that application layer
protocols such as CoAP have a fundamentally different semantic than lower layer
protocols such as UDP or IP (GET/SET/PUT/DELETE vs. send/receive) and
targeting a fundamentally different developer group (application developers or
even "users" that don't care about network internals vs. network protocol
developers that may live with a somewhat less abstracted API as long as it is
powerful and efficient enough).

IMO it is sensible to have a unified API with the feature set of netapi (or at
least similar) for everything *below* application layer. If I want to send a
payload from A to B, it should be matter of seconds to modify the send-call
from transmitting this payload over transport layer to transmitting over,
let's say, link layer.

printk(KERN_WARNING "Hey who turned the DMA off?\n");
        linux-2.6.6/drivers/net/wan/z85230.c