[riot-devel] Network API task force

Kaspar Schleiser kaspar at schleiser.de
Fri May 8 14:17:58 CEST 2015

Hi,

On 05/08/15 12:36, Oleg Hahm wrote:
> IMO it is sensible to have a unified API with the feature set of netapi (or at
> least similar) for everything *below* application layer.

Actually, how a network stack internally communicates should be kept to
that stack. I was talking exactly for the upper layers, e.g., applications.

How do I bind to a UDP or TCP port? How do I write to a TCP connection?

My point is that something like

---
udp_socket_t s;
udp_bind(&s, address, port);

udp_read(&s);
---

should be available. If the stack below is netapi based, then those
calls should map to netapi calls. If not, whatever.

Now if I write a library or application, e.g., a coap server, I would
like to be able to write against this API, and a simple USEMODULE +=
STACK_A or STACK_B links in the right implementation.

My first mail explains why I think that POSIX sockets are not suited for
this.

Kaspar