[riot-devel] Network API task force

Kaspar Schleiser kaspar at schleiser.de
Fri May 8 14:44:45 CEST 2015

Hi,

On 05/08/15 14:34, Oleg Hahm wrote:
> Sure, from the caller perspective you don't care what's happening inside the
> stack, but what's so wrong in having the same API at all layers, i.e. inside
> and on top of the stack? (Assuming that it can be implemented without (or
> very, very, very little overhead.)

Well, netapi right now is

int ng_netapi_send(kernel_pid_t pid, ng_pktsnip_t *pkt);

If we omit the messaging, and the pktbuf dependency, it is not "netapi"
anymore.

Also, the default stack's whole design is based on threads passing
messages containing pktsnips. Changing that would change the whole concept.

Applications now should be written in a network stack agnostic way.
So if the stack implementor decides to go for the benefits of having
clear module seperation and flexibility through using messages and
threads, that still shouldn't force our application interfaces to that
decision.

Kaspar