[riot-devel] Implementing a new MAC protocol for IEEE 802.15.4

Daniel Krebs mail at daniel-krebs.net
Mon May 11 15:11:45 CEST 2015

Hi Joakim,

> +1 We use mostly Contiki-based applications presently and it would be
> a big improvement if it was possible to get ContikiMAC duty cycling
> working in RIOT as well.
Who is "we" if I may ask? Just curious.

> # Requirements
>
>   * Mesh topology => no single-point-of-failure
> Is this not a requirement of the routing?
Did you have a look at the IEEE 802.15.4 specification? It's assumed to
have a so called PAN coordinator that forces the network to a star
topology. It's extendable to a tree of stars, but still you need a PAN
coordinator in every region. This node is the mentioned single point of
failure and additionally has increased energy consumption.

This is exactly what I don't want.

>> # Ideas / Questions
>>
>>   * Do we need broadcasting?
> Routing protocols might need it. RPL sends solicitation messages to
> ask for routing information.
There are broadcasting schemes for the implementation I aim for, but
they don't come for free in terms of energy consumption, like e.g. on a
network bus. I'll elaborate about this later if you want.

>>   * Add multi-hop / routing later? Is this even reasonable?
> Some kind of routing will be necessary for any useful applications, at
> least some kind of hardware address to IPv6 address mapping must exist
> to fill the neighbor cache. (e.g. RPL, NDP)
Sure. Hardware addresses are needed anyway to get your data delivered to
the destination node.

Best regards,
Daniel Krebs