[riot-devel] Implementing a new MAC protocol for IEEE 802.15.4

Oleg Hahm oliver.hahm at inria.fr
Tue May 12 08:07:20 CEST 2015

Hi Daniel!

> >Is this not a requirement of the routing?
> Did you have a look at the IEEE 802.15.4 specification? It's assumed to have
> a so called PAN coordinator that forces the network to a star topology. It's
> extendable to a tree of stars, but still you need a PAN coordinator in every
> region. This node is the mentioned single point of failure and additionally
> has increased energy consumption.
>
> This is exactly what I don't want.

PAN coordinators are only required for the beacon enabled mode in IEEE
802.15.4. 6LoWPAN, for instance, does not require this mode (I'm not even sure
if it is supported by the spec) and thus, there is no need for a PAN
coordinator or star topology.

I'm working on a bittorrent joke, but I only have about 30% and nobody's
seeding!