[riot-devel] Implementing a new MAC protocol for IEEE 802.15.4

Joakim Gebart joakim.gebart at eistec.se
Tue May 12 09:27:47 CEST 2015

On May 11, 2015 3:12 PM, "Daniel Krebs" <mail at daniel-krebs.net> wrote:

> Hi Joakim,
>

>> +1 We use mostly Contiki-based applications presently and it would be
>> a big improvement if it was possible to get ContikiMAC duty cycling
>> working in RIOT as well.
>
> Who is "we" if I may ask? Just curious.

Sorry about that, I should have started with "At Eistec, we use mostly
contiki..."

BR, Joakim

>> # Requirements
>>
>>   * Mesh topology => no single-point-of-failure
>> Is this not a requirement of the routing?
>
> Did you have a look at the IEEE 802.15.4 specification? It's assumed to
have a so called PAN coordinator that forces the network to a star
topology. It's extendable to a tree of stars, but still you need a PAN
coordinator in every region. This node is the mentioned single point of
failure and additionally has increased energy consumption.

> This is exactly what I don't want.
>

>>> # Ideas / Questions
>>>
>>>   * Do we need broadcasting?
>>
>> Routing protocols might need it. RPL sends solicitation messages to
>> ask for routing information.
>
> There are broadcasting schemes for the implementation I aim for, but they
don't come for free in terms of energy consumption, like e.g. on a network
bus. I'll elaborate about this later if you want.