[riot-devel] Implementing a new MAC protocol for IEEE 802.15.4

Ralph Droms (rdroms) rdroms at cisco.com
Tue May 12 12:09:05 CEST 2015

> On May 12, 2015, at 11:00 AM 5/12/15, Martine Lenders <authmillenon at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Am 12.05.2015 08:08 schrieb "Oleg Hahm" <oliver.hahm at inria.fr>:
> >
> > Hi Daniel!

> > > Did you have a look at the IEEE 802.15.4 specification? It's assumed to have
> > > a so called PAN coordinator that forces the network to a star topology. It's
> > > extendable to a tree of stars, but still you need a PAN coordinator in every
> > > region. This node is the mentioned single point of failure and additionally
> > > has increased energy consumption.
> > >
> > > This is exactly what I don't want.
> >
> > PAN coordinators are only required for the beacon enabled mode in IEEE
> > 802.15.4. 6LoWPAN, for instance, does not require this mode (I'm not even sure
> > if it is supported by the spec) and thus, there is no need for a PAN
> > coordinator or star topology.
>
> I'm not 100% sure, since I'm not THAT knowledgeable in terms of IEEE 802.15.4, but isn't that what 6LoWPAN's mesh-under mode [1] is for? All we need to do to support this mode is to implement support for 6LoWPAN's Mesh [2] and Broadcast [3] headers.

6LoWPAN can be used in a "route-over" mesh using just IP, as well, for example using RPL as a routing protocol.  This mode is of operation is incorporated into the ZigBee-IP specification [1].

- Ralph

[1] http://www.zigbee.org/zigbee-for-developers/network-specifications/zigbeeip/#learnmore; the ZigBee-IP specification document is available for free but requires registration.