[riot-devel] NSTF - Naming the stack

Oleg Hahm oliver.hahm at inria.fr
Wed May 13 07:28:11 CEST 2015

Hi Ludwig!

> Isn't ccn-lite using the lower layer(s) (MAC, LLC, driver - correct me if
> I'm wrong) of the old stack and should be upgraded to use the lower layer(s)
> of the new stack? (What about OpenWSN?) Or are those layers not considered
> part of the stack?

Yes, you're right, ccn-lite can run directly on top of Link Layer (and
actually more or less any other layer) and should be upgraded.

OpenWSN provides a full network stack from Link to Application Layer.

> >I think we cannot compare to Linux,
> >BSD, and
> >the like here. They can afford to make different modules somehow
> >interoperable
> >at cost of memory, we cannot.
>
> As far as I remember, the modularization of the new stack had exactly this
> as a goal.

Yes, that's correct. However, there will - as Kaspar pointed out - still exist
other stack implementations. Actually, this might be another reason for a
name: if one implements a new module for this stack, one should indicate that
it is compatible to stack XYZ.

panic("This never returns");
        linux-2.6.6/kernel/power/swsusp.c