[riot-devel] NSTF - Naming the stack

Emmanuel Baccelli Emmanuel.Baccelli at inria.fr
Mon May 18 15:55:35 CEST 2015

Hi everyone,

concerning the name of the new network stack, and assuming it is not going
to be the only network stack that RIOT hosts, here's a suggestion.

The way I see it, the goal of this network stack was/is to be generic [1]:
- one-size-fits-most
- flexible/configurable/extendable

In contrast, other stacks that RIOT supports (or is about to support) have
more specific goals, e.g.
- OpenWSN stack (focus on 802.15.4e and 6TiSCH)
- Kaspar's IP stack focusing on fitting the memory constraints of Class 0
devices
- CCN-lite stack focusing on NDN and CCN

So how about we simply name the new network stack "the generic stack" and,
where needed in the code, we could abbreviate the word "generic" by eliding
the vowels from the word, which then becomes the acronym/prefix "gnrc".

Somehow, we can convene that "gnrc" could/can be pronounced almost like the
original word "generic".

Cheers,

Emmanuel

[1] Word definition from Webster dictionary:
Generic: Very comprehensive; pertaining or appropriate to large classes or
their characteristics; -- opposed to specific.
http://www.dict.org/bin/Dict?Form=Dict2&Database=*&Query=generic