[riot-devel] RIOT-OS on ARM SAM3X8E?

Hauke Petersen hauke.petersen at fu-berlin.de
Tue May 19 18:29:59 CEST 2015

Hi Zac,

I think you got something wrong: the Arduino-due is indeed based on the
Atmel SAM3X8E which is based on an ARM Cortex-M3 with *~96kB* RAM and
*~512kB*  Flash. The RPi on the other hand has nothing at all to do with
the Atmel SAM3X8E. Instead it is base on some Broadcom Arm-A11 SoC with
(depending on the version) *~512MB* of RAM and some *Gigabyte* of
memory... So they have nothing in common.

The nature of RIOT is, that it is focusing on very constrained
micro-controller platforms, where the Arduino-due is already on the
upper scale... So basically: "If your device runs Linux (like the RPi),
then run Linux!". For everything that can't, run RIOT :-)

Cheers,
Hauke