[riot-devel] Association time in mobile RPL/6lowpan networks

Oleg Hahm oliver.hahm at inria.fr
Thu May 21 02:33:55 CEST 2015

Hi Adam!

> Has anyone tested the amount of time it takes for a node (full or reduced
> function) to join an RPL routed 6lowpan network? I realize that it's very
> likely to vary quite a bit depending on the network, I'm just curious if
> anyone has an approximate range.

As you said: it depends quite a bit on the network and the parameters. Since
nodes on the current RPL implementation won't send proactively DIS messages
and the interval of sending DIOs increases, it will usually take just a couple
of seconds if you try to join the network right after bootup, but can take
more than one minute in a later phase.

printk (KERN_ERR "%s: Oops - your private data area is hosed!\n", ...)
        linux-2.6.6/drivers/net/ewrk3.c