[riot-devel] RIOT <-> mac80211

Adam Hunt voxadam at gmail.com
Wed May 27 22:21:13 CEST 2015

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to keep up on all the recent network
stack work but while working on a WSN project that's currently Linux based
project I got to wondering about the feasibility of 802.11 support in RIOT.
I know it's been talked about in the past. Driver and MAC SUPPORT are
obviously big hurdles. What are the chances that Linux's mac80211 and
related pieces could be adapted to run on the new network stack?

I'm not all that familiar with Linux's wireless subsystem; softmac may be a
bit of a memory hog but devices, even WSN devices are becoming and will
continue to be more and more capable in the future. If softmac is beyond
the scope of sanity in a RIOT context maybe fullmac devices and their
drivers could be used.

Thanks,

Adam