[riot-devel] at86rf2xx radio driver -- potential severe performance issues for multi-hop communication

Daniel Krebs mail at daniel-krebs.net
Thu Oct 15 15:05:41 CEST 2015

Hi Andreas, hi Alexander,

I'm implementing a new MAC layer [1] for RIOT at the moment. It's
inspired by TinyOS LPL and ContikiMAC, but not compatible (at least not
yet). I'm developing against our at86rf2xx driver as a reference. You
can use it afaict the same as if it were using Basic Mode by disabling
NETOPT_AUTOACK, so no need to rewrite the driver. Concerning CSMA you
can also easily disable CSMA/CA via NETOPT_CSMA if you wish.

I also kind of implemented my own ACKs (called wakeup request - WR) that
will be sent with CSMA/CA enabled, but without automatic resending
(CSMA_RETRIES = 0). On the other hand I send the payload using AUTOACK
so that I can tell if it really arrived at the destination. I couldn't
test it on a bigger testbed yet, let alone multi-hop, but I can not yet
imagine that performance would suffer that much. Still have to read your
article though.

Cheers,
Daniel