[riot-devel] at86rf2xx radio driver -- potential severe performance issues for multi-hop communication

Thomas Eichinger thomas.eichinger at fu-berlin.de
Thu Oct 15 21:43:27 CEST 2015

Hi Andreas,

thank you very much to point us to your work. I didn't find time yet to
read it
but will do for sure. From what you shared with us by now I think this
are very
useful informations we definitely should consider for our driver.

I have to admit when I once started it, the promises extended operating
mode made
were too auspicious to not use it, and I never came to run actual multi
hop tests
on it yet.

At least with the possibility of disabling CSMA-CA chances are we don't
have to
rewrite it again.

Taken from your description below, the main problem is that the
transceiver drops
any packets, right? Does IEEE802.15.4 specify anything on this?

Anyhow, I will try to get your article tomorrow and thanks again for
sharing this
with us.

Best,
Thomas

On 15 Oct 2015, at 14:38 CEST(+0200), Andreas Weigel wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> indeed this should solve the issue -- I have to admit, that I hadn't
> considered this possibility for our driver, because I adapted the
> TinyOS MAC layer (using the basic operating mode) and had everything
> there already, including a handling of the ACKs in software, which
> works reasonably well.
>
> You will obviously still have to implement the CSMA-CA mechanism then
> if you need it. Is there already usable (for the at86rf2xx) code
> available for a CSMA-CA in Riot? Then probably combining it with the
> existing driver (with deactivated CSMA-CA) would be a good solution.
>
> Regards,
> Andreas
>
> On 10/15/2015 02:13 PM, Alexander Aring wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 01:57:03PM +0200, Andreas Weigel wrote:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> I've recently executed some experiments on the performance of
>>> Atmel's
>>> extended operating mode on the ATmega256RFR2 (which afaik is
>>> basically the
>>> same as the AT82RF2xx transceivers) in multihop collection traffic
>>> scenarios, with unslotted CSMA/CA. For those, we used our own
>>> framework for
>>> WSNs (CometOS). Result is, that the extended operating mode can
>>> severely
>>> impact performance (in terms of PRR) in the presence of large
>>> fragmented
>>> datagrams sent over 6LoWPAN. However, I expect that there will be an
>>> impact
>>> in any traffic scenario with "enough" traffic to get some node's
>>> queue
>>> filled to some extent (resulting in repeated transmissions towards
>>> the same
>>> node).
>>>
>>> Problem is the property of the TX_ARET mode to discard any incoming
>>> transmissions during the backoff phase of the CSMA mechanism. This
>>> leads to
>>> a large number of lost frames on longer paths (4 hops are enough to
>>> produce
>>> a large number of losses), even with rather high backoff exponents
>>> and the
>>> maximum number of retries. This problem caused me to reimplement our
>>> mac
>>> driver for the ATmega256RFR2 using the basic operating mode.
>>>
>>> As far as I can see, the at86rf2xx driver in the riot repo uses the
>>> same
>>> extended operating mode and therefore will very likely have the very
>>> same
>>> weakness. If the time is available, it would probably be a good idea