[riot-devel] Newcomer Query: Feature list/TODO items

Oleg Hahm oliver.hahm at inria.fr
Tue Oct 20 19:12:08 CEST 2015

Hi Amit and welcome to RIOT!

> Few days back I asked on RIOT-OS IRC channel about the possibility of
> participation of RIOT-OS for GSOC 2016, but I didn't get any response. I guess
> it's not planned at the moment.

As you assumed correctly, it's too early for a definitive decision, but I
think it is likely that RIOT will apply next year, too.

> However, At the same time, I need to work on my Masters Thesis and I'm
> wondering that It might be possible that some significant work for RIOT OS
> __may__ get counted towards Thesis.

I think this is definitely possible.

> On the GitHub wiki page, I could not find enough information on such feature
> list or TODOs list. (However, I must inform that, so far (In two days), I
> have mostly skimmed through the information on RIOT-OS GitHub page, forked
> the codebase, and have done some early setup; Toolchain, Configuring tool
> for Firmware Flashing, arranged a target board etc), hence Is there any
> feature list with some overview etc ? That would be very helpful to me.

I think if you look at http://riot-os.org/#features and
http://riot-os.org/#usage you will get a rather complete overview over
existing features.

I guess there are several hot open topics on nearly all layers on the system
and the networking side of RIOT. Do you have any particular interests in the
area of IoT? Are you more interested in system design, hardware support (e.g.
drivers) or more in the networking aspect (link layer, routing, application
layer...)?

> The RIOT-OS user mailing list archive link is broken.

Thanks for the hint. Now it should be fixed again.