[riot-devel] Update to documentation overview.

Emmanuel Baccelli Emmanuel.Baccelli at inria.fr
Wed Oct 21 17:35:09 CEST 2015

Hi Martine,

thanks for the reminder. The pad is great to edit, but not very comfortable
to visualize the rendering...

I think both restructuring, and additional text would be welcome.

How about a ToC such as the following.
See below how we could ventilate existing content in this new ToC.
Most of the additional text needed is in section 3 (about structural
overview).

1. RIOT in a nutshell
2. The quickest start
3. Structural overview of RIOT
4. First steps using RIOT
5. Hints to customize RIOT and/or develop RIOT further

RIOT in a nutshell
========

RIOT is an open-source, community-driven operating system for low-end
devices in the Internet of Things (IoT).
RIOT is based on a micro-kernel and requires only kBytes of memory (RAM and
Flash) while providing high energy efficiency, real-time capabilities,
modular and configurable communication stacks.
RIOT provides a consistent API on a wide range of IoT hardware (32-bit,
16-bit, and 8-bit), enables ANSI C and C++ application programming, with
multithreading, IPC, sytem timers, and mutexes.
RIOT also provides utilities like a shell, cryptographic libraries, data
structures (bloom filters, hash tables, priority queues etc.).
RIOT supports a wide range of microcontrollers, radio drivers, sensors, and
configurations for entire platforms, e.g. ATSAMR21, Zolertia Z1, STM32
Discovery Boards etc.

For developer questions: devel at riot-os.org
For live support & discussions: irc.freenode.org #riot-os
Code available at: https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT
For news: https://twitter.com/RIOT_OS

The quickest start
========

You can run RIOT on most IoT devices, on open-access testbed hardware (e.g.
IoT-lab), and also directly on your Linux/FreeBSD/OSX machine.
Try it right now in your terminal window:

git clone https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT.git (assumption: git is
pre-installed)
cd RIOT/examples/default
(git checkout LATEST-RELEASE-BRANCH)
make all
make term

... and you are in the RIOT shell!
Type 'help' to discover available commands.

To use RIOT directly on your embedded platform, and for more details
hands-on with RIOT, see below section "First steps using RIOT".

Before that, skimming through the next section is recommended (but not
mandatory).

Structural overview of RIOT

========

Display Martine's proposed graphic (see
https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/issues/4072).
Input some yet-to-be-written text that present each element briefly and how
they interact.

First steps using RIOT
========

Downloading RIOT code
Compiling RIOT (+ toolchain + build system)
Trying examples available in RIOT/example

Hints on how to customize or develop RIOT further

========

We recommend you first read the above "structural overview" section.

Create an application + the main function
Creating threads + choosing the right stack size
Using IPC
Including modules (+ auto initialization)
Networking

explicit link to developing guide?