[riot-devel] Newcomer Query: Feature list/TODO items

amit mehta gmate.amit at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 00:22:09 CEST 2015

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 10:49 AM, Oleg Hahm <oliver.hahm at inria.fr> wrote:
> To answer your question: it depends on what exactly you're planning to do.
> E.g., do you want to implement a full firmware update, i.e. replacing the
> whole binary or just update a single library or the application? Where do you
> want to store the upgrade during the process? And then there are several open
> questions about disseminating the upgrade through a network, e.g. security,
> integrity and so on.
>
> In general, there should be ways to implement such a procedure in a more or
> less hardware independent way (using peripheral interfaces for things like
> NVRAM or flash), but obviously some hardware dependent code is required for
> each architecture that might not yet be available.

I'm planning to investigate complete firmware upgrade over the air. Currently
my plan is to try out various approach to this problem, starting with the
simplistic one (Using vendor provided libraries, use AT+ command,
no security check etc) and slowly move towards more roboust and
practical solution.

> Sounds like a good beginner task to familiarize yourself with RIOT and its
> driver interfaces and a good first step towards 1.

I plan to work on this to get started.

> You will find a lot of experience and help in the networking aspect
> (particular, concerning IPv6 and 6LoWPAN). Maybe you can take a look at the
> `gnrc_networking` example and try it on the IoT-LAB. Some slides as a kind of
> updated version of the tutorial you mentioned before are online available [6].
>
> Have fun,
> Oleg
>
> [1] https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/releases/tag/2015.09
> [2] http://wiki.riot-os.org/minutes-OTA-meetup-13.2.2015
> [3] https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/pull/3911
> [4] https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/pull/1421
> [5] https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/pull/3686
> [6] http://riot-os.org/files/2015-riotlab-tutorial.pdf

Thank you for much needed information and those references.

Thanks,
Amit