[riot-devel] Network Stack Question

Haoyang Yu haoyang.yu at rutgers.edu
Tue Oct 27 21:16:53 CET 2015

Hi Martine,

Thank you so much for your patient answer!

I changed hundreds of codes in NETWORK stack for the example of default, which implemented txtsnd and echo a ACK back to the source. However, there is still some puzzles hang over my head:

#ifdef MODULE_GNRC_NETIF vs #ifdef MODULE_NETIF: Are they the same definition of MODULE_GNRC_NETIF and MODULE_NETIF?
I understand one packet is formed by many snipts which use linked list. gnrc_pktbuf_add() is used to form a packet. I add the hardware address on linked layer using gnrc_pkbuf_add with the data payload. For layer 3, layer4, is it okay still use gnrc_pktbuf_add() to link the layer 3, layer 4 header?
I am not fully understand the type of GNRC_NETTYPE_UNDEF, is it just the data payload? And also for the GNRC_NETTYPE_NETIF, is it the layer 2 snipt type?

Because my main focus will be grab the layer 2 packet and the implement a new protocol I defined on for layer 3, layer 4 in ICN. Thank you for your help!

my changes: https://github.com/haoyangyu/RIOT/commits?author=haoyangyu

Best,
Haoyang