[riot-devel] Hack'n'ACK October '15

Peter Kietzmann peter.kietzmann at haw-hamburg.de
Thu Oct 29 08:28:26 CET 2015

Hi Haoyang,

I'm not quite sure if I got your question. But I can try to solve some
confusion. Se me comments inline!

Am 29.10.2015 um 05:18 schrieb Haoyang Yu:
> Thanks Peter,
>
> I encountered an question about DEFAULT program.
>
> the _netif_send is the underlying function for txtsnd, it use
> genre_netapi_send(dev, pkt) to send the packet. But in pkt_dump
> process running background, I notice the _eventloop(void *arg), is the
> codes in charge of printing. The question is:

- The command "txtsnd" in the default example *sends* plain data over an
interface, without using other protocols
- netapi is an IPC mechanism to communicate between modules/threads in
the network-stack
- pkd_dump you can understand as a *receiver* thread. You register it
for some kind of protocol and if this kind is received, pkt_dum just
prints the packets contents to the console

> gnrc_netapi_send is sending GNRC_NETAPI_MSG_TYPE_SND, but in
> _eventloop, it is the GNRC_NETAPI_MSG_TYPE_RCV type, because the
> stdout result shows “PKTDUMP: data received:”. Is there any problem?

- GNRC_NETAPI_MSG_TYPE_SND and GNRC_NETAPI_MSG_TYPE_RCV are two types of
the communication mechanism netapi. Like the names already say, one type
is used when there is data to send (network-stack from top to bottom)
and the other is used when there is data received (network-stack bottom
to top).

If you are still confused, could you explain your scenario and the
existing problem in a bit more detail?

> Thanks,
> Haoyang

Cheers,