[riot-devel] Using periph/UART w/ native

Oleg Hahm oliver.hahm at inria.fr
Mon Sep 14 10:20:10 CEST 2015

Hi Evan!

> This is a first time post to the forum so please excuse any newbie
> language/etiquette.

Welcome to the RIOT community and no worries about any RIOT specific language
or etiquette.

> I'd like to test some uart-related code using native before flashing to a
> specific board.  However it doesn't look like native cpu supports uart.
>
> Am I missing something or is this the correct assessment?

Nope, you are correct. We just recently switched to periph/uart support for
all boards, but since the native getchar/putchar implementation are mapped to
the host's implementation of these functions there was no urgent need for a
periph/uart implementation on native.

> Is there any work being done on adding uart emulation to native?  Is this
> an issue already being tracked (i tried to check but didn't see anything)

I guess you're right here, too: there is indeed no issue for this. I'll open
one. Do you have interest in working on this by any chance?

printk(KERN_CRIT "Whee.. Swapped out page in kernel page table\n");
        linux-2.6.6/mm/vmalloc.c