[riot-devel] RIOT-ESP8622

Adam Hunt voxadam at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 06:41:31 CEST 2016

I was under the impression that the core which the esp8266 is based on
isn't actually custom but is rather a Xtensa CPU by Tensilica which is now
part of Cadence.

While Xtensa CPUs may not be as familiar as ARM or MIPS I believe that
there's a reasonable amount of NDA unencumbered documentation available on
it floating around the web and in various academic journals.

• Xtensa® Instruction Set Architecture (ISA) Reference Manual
http://0x04.net/~mwk/doc/xtensa.pdf

• Xtensa Architecture and Performance
http://users.ece.utexas.edu/~mcdermot/soc/lectures/xtensa.pdf

• Linux/Xtensa