[riot-devel] Questions on Semtech SX1276 radio device driver

Peter Kietzmann peter.kietzmann at haw-hamburg.de
Wed Apr 13 09:30:45 CEST 2016

Hi Anon,

and once again, welcome to RIOT :-)!

Am 12.04.2016 um 12:17 schrieb Anon Anonymous:
> Hi everyone!
>

> I'm new to RIOT and I want to implement LoRa network with using existing
> RIOT OS networking tools.
>
> My transceiver is Semtech SX1276. It's famous LoRa modem for IoT. I want
> to use it as physical layer for my network.
>
> I come up with questions:
>
> 1. Where I can get information about all steps that I should perform to implement networking based on this transceiver?
> I mean from messing with SPI up to network connection.

I'm not aware of such kind of porting guide. My proposal would be to
read some RIOT code, try to adapt it and open a PR in which you can
probably get more concrete help.

> 2. As far I can see there's two good examples: theCC1101 device driver and AT86RF2xx driver.
> They're implementing a netdev2 interface, it's good choice for SX1276 radio?

netdev2 is the interface of choice, yes.

> 3. Which IEEE specification or network type fits to the my transceiver
> as upper layers? It might be the IEEE 802.15.4?

I've no experience with LoRa but probably 802.15.4 is not an upper layer
for LoRa cause it is a PHY/MAC standardization as well. Isn't 6LowPAN +
IPv6 compatible?!

> 4. Maybe I missing something and there's an already existing port of
> SX1276 to the RIOT somewhere?

Nope, there's no port.

> Thanks in advance and best regards,
>
> Cr0s