[riot-devel] IoT technology survey

Landsmann, Martin Martin.Landsmann at haw-hamburg.de
Fri Apr 15 14:44:04 CEST 2016

Hi Michael, hi Emmanuel,

IMHO its not a really surprising outcome.
We (especially me) just have a very restricted, not saying stubborn, impression that IoT is only == "some kind of sensor/actuator network driven by small microcontrollers".
But the buzzword IoT is commonly considered everything not being a classic computer and connected with the internet, preferably but not necessarily over some wireless connection.
So a smartphone, tablet, a fritzbox with a webserver, heating system steerable/configurable with an App over wifi, fringe that spams me with tweets to buy milk ... fits this buzzword. And in the named cases the devices often use some sort of linux providing a web-service for login/configure stuff.

Best regards,
Martin