[riot-devel] RPL as fix for the border router issue

Martine Lenders mlenders at inf.fu-berlin.de
Mon Apr 18 17:36:07 CEST 2016

Hi,
at the f2f meeting today we Oleg proposed to have RPL run on the
border router as an alternative to [1] (since RPL always uses
link-local addresses as next hop, the neighbor cache would never be
asked for GUAs). This seemed to work (it ran for about 30 min), but we
(Cenk, Hauke and I) discussed that the manual configuration for RPL
currently needed is a big negative point in light of the fully
automated border router configuration. And while we could implement a
half-assed bootstapping mechanism until tomorrow, we decided against
this solution and stick with [1] for this release and have it done
properly instead with a proper interface bootstrapping/configuration
mechanism at some point in the future.

Cheers,
Martine