[riot-devel] RPL as fix for the border router issue

Gaëtan Harter gaetan.harter at inria.fr
Tue Apr 19 12:30:00 CEST 2016

Out of mailing-list:

Hi Martin,

Regarding manual-configuration for RPL, the way contiki is doing it to
prevent manual config on the border router is bypassing the network
layers and doing kind of horrible things.

As I see most RIOT like a linux host, if I should do the same stuff
dynamically I would be using ssh to configure the host with the adapted
addresses/interfaces/routes.
Or a script run at startup wih configuration files.

So what about a RIOT shell script (with expect on the serial line?) to
configure it "automatically with a manually run script".
This way, there could be a start_network script which would take care of
everything automatically with manual configuration anyway.

So even if I would love to have RPL border routers now to use on IoT-LAB
I agree with not bypassing the manual configuration in a quick-fix way.

Regards,
Gaëtan - IoT-LAB Team