[riot-devel] Border Router using tunslip error

Martine Lenders authmillenon at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 11:17:02 CEST 2016

Copy from my answer on users at riot.org (please subscribe to a mailing
list, if you are writing to it, so you can read the answers posted to
it):

> Hello Riot.
> My hardware is STM32 + CC1101, i was able to ping, send udp packet between
> them. Now I trying to make a small example with 2 board, one as border
> router connected to my PC via tunslip (using gnrc_border_router example),
> and one CoAP server (using microcoap_server). My goal is to reach CoAP
> server from my PC using Copper.
>
> I do exactly step in gnrc_border_router README [1] section tunslip,
> but in my PC i can't ping to border router or microcoap_server, using.
>
> - ping6 2001:db8::2 (border_router)
>
> - ping6 2001:db8::ff:fe00:5 (microcoap_server)
>
> I was enabled debug in gnrc_tunslip.c and see it received and sent
> packet normally, and tun0 RX,TX packet change in ifconfig when i ping.
> Is there a step that I'm missing, please help.
>
> [1]: https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/tree/master/examples/gnrc_border_router

Hi,
did you checkout the newest version of RIOT (master)? The
`example/gnrc_border_router` example was overhauled to use `ethos`
(ethernet over serial-line) instead of slip. In addition to circumvent
weird errors, because slip is address-less (and the only link-layer of
that kind we support so far), it allows for multiplexing shell-input
and ethos packets over the same UART. It also comes with a lot of
tools for auto-configuration (see updated README).

Cheers,
Martine