[riot-devel] 1st International Workshop on Semantic Interoperability for the IoT (SIFI)
matthias.kovatsch at siemens.com
Wed Aug 3 18:30:32 CEST 2016
We are trying to get an academic community together that is interested in the sweetspot between semantics and practical IoT applications! This is directly related to the work in the IRTF T2TRG and the W3C WoT IG. The workshop will be co-located with the 6th International Conference on the Internet of Things (IoT 2016) will take place November 7-9, 2016 in Stuttgart, Germany.
## Call for Papers
The International Workshop on Semantic Interoperability for the IoT (SIFI) targets authors from the Semantic Web and the Internet of Things (IoT) application layer to form a community that explores machine-understandable information and interaction models for Thing-to-Thing communication. While the IoT promises products and higher-value services based on the widespread and integrated use of connected devices, we are currently witnessing application silos with custom interfaces, heterogeneous network communication mechanisms, and individual data models. The workshop aims to overcome scenario-driven, not reusable, isolated islands of solutions, so that everyday objects are not only network-enabled, but can finally participate in integrated scenarios. The challenges include:
* __Connectivity and Integration:__ There is a heterogeneous landscape of both wired and wireless communication standards to fulfill different application requirements. Manual integration via gateways increases the implementation effort and the complexity of the solutions.
* __Information Models:__ Each application usually comes with its own data model, although the information about the physical world is relevant even across application domains. The IoT requires shared formats and models so that information can be understood and interpreted by all applications.
* __Security and Privacy:__ Each IoT platform typically comes with its own security mechanisms and policies. To make use of a common information model and interact with integrated IoT devices, these must be declared in a machine-understandable manner.
* __Flexibility and Scalability:__ IT systems have usually been developed and deploying with only the current or immediate future needs in mind. IoT systems need to be able to handle change and evolve with their environment, in particular when being part of long-lived infrastructure.
* __Monitoring and Analysis:__ IoT systems will produce a huge stream of quasi real-time data. This requires innovative ways to analyze and assess information to notify users in time or even to act autonomously.
The first SIFI workshop primarily seeks position papers to gather researchers who want to follow a practical approach of Semantic Web technology or who want to enrich their IoT applications, protocols, and security profiles with semantic information. Promising concepts and solutions may be pursued further within the IRTF [Thing-to-Thing Research Group](https://github.com/t2trg/) and the W3C [Web of Things Interest Group](https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/).
## Important Dates
* __Paper submission deadline:__ September 19, 2016
* __Notification of acceptance:__ October 10, 2016
* __Camera-ready papers due:__ October 24, 2016
* __Workshop date:__ t.b.d. (November 7-9, 2016)
* __Position paper (preferred):__ 1-4 ACM conference format pages
* __Full paper (limited slots):__ 6-8 ACM conference format pages
Both types of research paper must be original prior unpublished work and not under review elsewhere as they will be published to the ACM digital library and listed on DBLP. All submissions will be peer-reviewed and selected based on their originality, merit, and relevance to the workshop. Submission requires at least one author to present the paper on-site. If you can, we encourage authors of accepted papers to bring a prototype and demonstrate it at the workshop, as part of an open demonstration session.
* Matthias Kovatsch - Siemens AG and ETH Zurich, DE/CH
* Maria Maleshkova - KIT, DE
* Michael Mrissa - Université de Pau, FR
More information about the devel