[riot-devel] [stm32l1] [lpm_arch] Hard Fault after wake-up

Joakim NohlgÄrd joakim.nohlgard at eistec.se
Thu Aug 4 17:58:24 CEST 2016

Dear Anon,
First of all, good to hear that someone is working on LPM!

Does your program work correctly if you remove the lpm_set() line from your
main or does it still crash when the RTC alarm occurs?

Normally, the idle thread will call lpm_set to go to a low power mode when
the system is idle, I did not examine the implementation of lpm_set so I
don't know what will happen if you call it like that. To go to SLEEP mode
from the idle thread, uncomment
https://github.com/Cr0s/RIOT/blob/stm32l1-lpm/core/kernel_init.c#L74 and
comment out the line above it.

To let your thread sleep and allow the idle thread to switch to low power
mode, use the xtimer module (include xtimer.h), and xtimer_sleep(x).

I think there might be a bug in the stm32l1 RTC implementation with
callback = NULL:
https://github.com/Cr0s/RIOT/blob/stm32l1-lpm/cpu/stm32l1/periph/rtc.c#L236
The ISR flag is only cleared if cb is not null. I don't have the reference
manual for the CPU nor any experience with it so I wouldn't know what is
correct here. Feel free to open a PR on the RIOT master for any mistakes
you fix in this code.

Your crash message suggests that the ISR stack is overflowing, this is most
of the time caused by performing complex tasks in an ISR which might be
better suited for a thread, or (accidentally) making recursive function
calls in an ISR. Also, printf is a real stack-consumer and will easily take
a couple 100 bytes for any kind of debugging output. The ISR_STACKSIZE
definition can be changed to increase the size of the ISR stack while
debugging.
https://github.com/Cr0s/RIOT/blob/stm32l1-lpm/cpu/cortexm_common/include/cpu_conf_common.h#L55
You can define it in your cpu_conf.h or add it to CFLAGS
(CFLAGS+=-DISR_STACKSIZE=2048 in your Makefile)

I hope this helps you on the way a bit.

Best regards,
Joakim