[riot-devel] Condition Variables

Sam Kumar samkumar99 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 21:49:15 CEST 2016

Hello,
I was looking at the synchronization primitives in RIOT OS. I noticed that
there is a mutex implementation, but I was unable to find a condition
variable.

I am currently porting the TCP logic from the FreeBSD operating system to
RIOT as part of the research work I am doing. I am implementing the "conn"
API for TCP, and I need to be able to block the current thread until a
packet is received, to implement some of the functions.

I read the IPC implementation (msg.c), which also has a blocking API, and
saw that it interacts with the scheduler manually in order to block and
resume threads. Before I did the same thing for the conn API (or perhaps
implement/contribute my own condition variable), I wanted to ask whether
there are condition variables for RIOT, in case I was just looking in the
wrong place. If not, I want to learn if there is another structured way to
block a thread until an event, that I should use instead.

Thanks,
Sam Kumar