[riot-devel] RFC: development procedures

Martine Lenders mail at martine-lenders.eu
Fri Aug 19 22:53:49 CEST 2016

Hi Kaspar,

> Hi,

> >> Not necessarily what?
> >
> > Rule out --fixup commits
>
> Did you read my email? You cannot change the commit message of --fixup
> commits - it is always "!fixup <original commit message subject>"
> without body. You can add a body when using "--squash" (the subject will
> always be "!squash <original subject>", but that body would always get
> folded away by the github interface. If anyone would like to see a
> comment you've added to such a commit, you have to press the little
> "..." icon.

Yes, that's true (somehow I overread that important part O_o)... But I
don't really see it as an inconvenience as long as the information is there.

Oleg Hahm wrote:
> Yes, it takes more time, but just a few seconds if the commit messages are
sensible. I never use autosquashing.

You should try it, its REEAAALLY convenient.

Hm, ... maybe there is a way to provide some hooks that can do all this
(edit --fixup message, use hash instead of message of original commit,
change rebase -i --autosquash so it greps commit hashes instead of commit
messages). If I find time I will look into it after the weekend.

Cheers,
Martine