[riot-devel] gprof for non-native boards

Oleg Hahm oliver.hahm at inria.fr
Mon Aug 22 15:53:27 CEST 2016

Hi Martine!

On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 03:16:02PM +0200, Martine Lenders wrote:
> for stack memory optimizations in GNRC I need some kind of tool to
> analyze the call-path of its threads (the stackusage of each function
> itself can easily determined using GCC [1]). After some experiments
> with some static solutions (I basically went through the list here
> [2]) I wasn't able to come to a satisfying result, so I want to go for
> a run-time solution. However, we have (undocumented) support for gprof
> on native [3]. Has anyone experience with gprof on non-native boards?
> What tools do I need to install besides the respective gprof-version?
> How do I connect gprof to the board?

I used gcc's --finstruments-functions for my work on energy profiling some
years ago. Together with Stefan Pfeiffer we also toyed around with it to
determine the stack usage of certain functions. Some fragments of this can be
found in my repository:
https://github.com/OlegHahm/miniature-dangerzone/tree/master/overflow_test

If you don't care for the performance impact, you could use this for dumping
the call-path, too, I guess.

printk("%s: confused, missing data\n", drive->name);
        linux-2.6.6/drivers/ide/ide-cd.c