[riot-devel] Porting a robot to RIOT

Martin martin.landsmann at haw-hamburg.de
Mon Aug 29 10:34:57 CEST 2016

Hi Loïc,

your experiment to substitute Aversive++ with RIOT as HW abstraction
looks great to me.
Its nice to see an example of coordinated actuators steered by a remote
wireless RIOT node.
Actually I would love to see your robot running on the ground.
I think its a really nice example for a one hop and one way
communication between nodes,
and It might give a good impression of the RIOT hardware abstraction
possibilities
(Similar to the RC car example of @haukepetersen [1]).

 > I was wondering if it was worth adding this to the RIOT's wiki. Maybe
it is not complete enough. What do you think ?

IMHO I think the RIOT wiki would not be the right place for it.
Some time ago we also made an example project [2] which is also not
present in the wiki pages of RIOT.
One reason why its not there is that it "just" uses a bunch of
documented and described features provided by RIOT, such as RPL, CoAP etc.
The other and even more important reason is that the blog offers a lot
of additional and,
regarding the RIOT wiki, redundant information which could confuse a new
user searching for specific help on a topic.

I think if you could give more details on migrating from Aversive++ to
RIOT,
like give a step by step guide for someone that wants to move to RIOT
but does not know how to begin, it could perfectly fit in the RIOT wiki.
Maybe something comparable to [3].

Best regards,

Martin

[1] https://github.com/haukepetersen/Petabot