[riot-devel] Counting retransmissions on at86rf2xx

Andreas Weigel andreas.weigel at tuhh.de
Wed Feb 10 10:21:09 CET 2016

Hi,

if there is no code available, wouldn't it be rather easy to introduce a
simple intermediate layer, set the number of retransmissions in the
driver to 0, and re-initiate the transmission every time the driver
reports a failure (up to the desired number of retransmissions) and
count the retransmissions there? You probably loose some microseconds
compared to the hardware solution, but gain the information you need.

Regards,
Andreas

PS: As you are speaking of multi-hop traffic, I'd like to use the
opportunity to bring attention to the "deafness"-problem again, which
may impact performance using the extended operating mode in combination
with multi-hop traffic. (mailing list topic: at86rf2xx radio driver --
potential severe performance issues for multi-hop communication)

On 02/09/2016 05:35 PM, Daniel Krebs wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>
>> I'm running some experiments where I tune parameters on the upper
>> layers as well as on the link-layer and want to evaluate how many
>> packets were actually required in different settings to retrieve data
>> in a multi-hop scenario.
> The only thing that comes to my mind would be measuring the time
> inside the driver for AT86RF231. Since you know the frame length and
> transmission times are deterministic, you should be able to deduct the
> number of retransmissions. But CSMA then might be a problem, because
> it introduces random delays :/
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel
>
>> Cheers, Oleg

  Hamburg University of Technology                andreas.weigel at tuhh.de
  Institute of Telematics (E-17)               Tel.: (+49) 40 42878-3746
  Am Schwarzenbergcampus 3                     Fax:  (+49) 40 42878-2581
  21073 Hamburg, Germany       http://www.ti5.tu-harburg.de/staff/weigel