[riot-devel] Reversed L2 addr in neighbor advertisement

Oleg Hahm oliver.hahm at inria.fr
Wed Feb 10 12:03:26 CET 2016

Hi Michael!

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 12:30:57AM -0800, Michael Andersen wrote:
> As you can see in the attached picture, sometimes there are unicast
> neighbor advertisements sent to nonexistent addresses that are the reverse
> of the one doing the solicitation. In the picture, this is
> fe80::510:0:36d:1202 instead of fe80::212:6d03:0:1005
>
> I checked the RFC's and I can't see why this would be done deliberately,
> especially as those frames never get acked, so the other side is certainly
> not expecting this.
>
> Is there a HTONLL bug somewhere in the ND code?
>
> It doesn't happen all the time, so it can't be a bug on the main code path,
> I spent a couple hours looking for it but no luck (I don't know the
> codebase well).

Can you please add some debugging lines in
sys/net/gnrc/network_layer/ndp/gnrc_ndp.c
at line 178, 185 and 190 and set ENABLE_DEBUG to 1 in
sys/net/gnrc/network_layer/ndp/internal/gnrc_ndp_internal.c
to figure out which path is taken when this happens?

The best thing about CSS jokes is that they are misunderstood and taken
incorrectly by Internet Explorer.