[riot-devel] Documentation of the RIOT-OS

Oleg Hahm oliver.hahm at inria.fr
Mon Feb 15 12:00:10 CET 2016

Hi Bernhard!

I sense some frustration. ;-) Sorry for that, but be aware that RIOT is an
open-source effort where most developers are working on it in their spare
time and you're probably not surprised that writing documentation is usually
not a developer's most beloved task. We're trying our best to improve the
situation, but it will take some time and more help to get there.

On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 03:21:04AM +0100, Bernhard Nägele wrote:
> I've worked the whole weekend to understand where you have to add the
> makefile statements to get a new network device running. It is really aweful
> to hop from one example to the other / from one sense-less tutorial to the
> other to understand the behaviour of the system.

It would helpful for us to know which tutorials you consider senseless and how
you think it could be improved.

> Is there no central information available, where you have to add things to
> get for example a new driver running? There is a missing link - no
> information how the parts stick together.

We're well aware that there are some crucial documentation elements missing.
For this, we set up a special task force. Take a look at
https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/wiki/Documentation-Task-Force-(DocTF) and the
corresponding issues here:
https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/issues?q=is:open+is:issue+label:DocTF
Please feel free to add your comments about missing topics there.

> A real porting guide

Do you have suggestions how to improve the porting guide. (I know that it is a
bit brief, right now, but it is always useful to get more input.)

> - a real driver implementation guide...

I'm not aware of such a guide, but I'm not an expert here and maybe I miss
something. Thomas, Hauke, Peter, does something like this exist somewhere or
do you have anything in the pipeline?

> I think not only the technical aspects of such a nice software is important
> - also the ease of use.

I agree 100%.

> At the moment I need the information how to get the sixlowpan stack running
> with a real network-radio device.
> Have you got a hint, where I find the most useful description?

I guess the most useful description should be included in the Makefile's
comments of the gnrc_networking example and the corresponding README. If you
want to introduce a new radio driver, you will also have to provide
auto-initialization function in sys/auto_init/netif/ following the other
examples there.

Hope this helps,
/*
 * For moronic filesystems that do not allow holes in file.
 * We may have to extend the file.
 */
        linux-2.4.0-test2/fs/buffer.c