[riot-devel] Implementation of a real low power timer for sleep/stop mode (idle thread)

Joakim Nohlgård joakim.nohlgard at eistec.se
Mon Feb 15 13:52:06 CET 2016

Hi Bernhard,
​It should be possible with some modifications to use a slow clock as the
xtimer source. There are a few developers working on improving the low
power operation in RIOT. As you discovered, the periph/timer API currently
needs to be updated to support non-MHz timer frequencies. I have a PR open
which will be merged some time soon, hopefully. Some PRs of interest:

https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/pull/4040 - support for non-1MHz operation
of periph/timer
https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/pull/3990 - xtimer 32768 Hz support, needs
some love, there are problems with it right now.
https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/pull/4065 - kinetis: periph/timer use LPTMR
for TIMER_0, PIT for TIMER_1, TIMER_2
https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/pull/2605 - kinetis: Add LPM implementation
- mostly an experiment remaining as a memo, needs to be reworked.

Once #4040 gets merged I hope to be able to resume working on xtimer 32768
Hz support. There are some other stuff that I need for work which are more
urgent though.

Best regards,
Joakim