[riot-devel] Implementing rng

Peter Kietzmann peter.kietzmann at haw-hamburg.de
Sun Feb 21 19:29:14 CET 2016

Hi Mathias,

[1] is the interface that should be implemented by your driver. The
driver is CPU specific and should be placed in RIOT/cpu/*/periph/hwrng.c
like e.g. here [2].

Does that reduce your confusion or did I get you wrong :-) ?

Best
Peter

[1]
https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/blob/master/drivers/include/periph/hwrng.h
[2] https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/blob/master/cpu/stm32f4/periph/hwrng.c

Am 18.02.2016 um 13:46 schrieb Tausig Mathias:
> I am a bit confused, where to put that code. As far as I can tell, all current
> implementations of the hwrng functions are implemented on the cpu and not on the
> board level. While my rng is on the at86rf2xx chip, which is a driver. Can I put
> the feature in the driver?
>

> Am Mittwoch, den 17.02.2016, 17:22 +0100 schrieb Hauke Petersen:
>> Hi Mathias,
>>
>> I think the way to go here is to implement the
>> `drivers/include/periph/hwrng.h` interface. For this I think it makes sense to
>> add a function that reads the random data from the radio to the at86rf2xx
>> driver and call this function from the hwrng driver.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Hauke
>>

>> On 16.02.2016 17:14, Tausig Mathias wrote:
>>> Hy!
>>>
>>> I would like to use the hardware RNG from my samr1-xpro board. It should be
>>> available by reading out a certain register, according to the AT86RF233
>>> documentation.
>>> My problem is, that I don't how to do that (I am pretty new to this stuff).
>>> Is there some documentation available for this kind of task, or could you
>>> point me in the right
>>> direction?
>>>
>>> cheers
>>> Mathias