[riot-devel] Overriding SPI speeds + gadgets drivers

Marc dkm+riotos at kataplop.net
Mon Feb 22 09:58:36 CET 2016

On 29-01-2016 14:03, Kaspar Schleiser wrote:
> Hey,
>
> On 01/29/2016 01:56 PM, Marc wrote:
>> I would like to drive the SPI at speeds currently not in the enum
>> types.
>>
>> What would be the best approach (ie. what would be accepted in a pull
>> request) :
>>
>>   - adding extra speeds to the global enum
> Sounds the most sensible.
>
>> Also, I'm wondering if RIOT has any rule for accepting new drivers. I
>> have been playing with small LCD, ws2812, mm5450, 7segments displays
>> and
>> I'm wondering if I should try to make something clean for creating a
>> PRs
>> ? I see that's devs are already flooded by more important PR, so maybe
>> you simply don't want these extra "gadgets".
> Sure, keep 'em coming!
>
> One problem with drivers will always be that it's not possible to test
> them if the hardware is not around. But if the PR looks OK (adheres to
> RIOT's conventions and style), we'll merge it anyways.

Hey :)

I was really willing to create new PRs, but I'm still stuck with a PR
that's few months old now (#4392) because I guess there's no time for
this (and I 100% understand that).
I was asked to create separate PR for each periphs (GPIO PR has been
started en of nov, I still have pwm and spi waiting in my queue).

What is expected for not-so-common boards (like the ek-lm4f120-xl ?) ?
Should I wait for someone to ping the PR and tell me what's
missing/expected ? Should I continue to rebase it even if no-one has
time for this ? I could also group everything together (GPIO, SPI, PWM)
so that when someone has few minutes to review it, everything can be
done at once ?

The smaller divers (lcd, ws2912, mm5450) need a big cleaning before a PR
can be pushed, so I don't really want to spend time on this if there is
technically no time for reviewing... And I guess that having PR created
then going to "unmaintained" state is not wanted by RIOT.

Thanks !

Marc