[riot-devel] Zephyr RTOS
Emmanuel.Baccelli at inria.fr
Wed Feb 24 13:03:53 CET 2016
yes, Zephyr looks relevant.
It should be looked into in more details.
Some first impressions:
- Zephyr is not brand new: based on commit history, it looks like an Intel
/ WindRiver product which has existed for some time.
- Zephyr's choice of license (Apache) is surprising for something under the
Linux Foundation umbrella which champions (L)GPL licences -- for example:
RIOT's license, which is LGPLv2.1.
- Zephyr supports few boards, and does not seem to target smaller hardware
based on 8bit, 16bit, or lower-end 32bit (for instance Cortex M0). On the
contrary, RIOT supports all of these, as well as bigger 32bit hardware
(Cortex M3, M4, x86)
- Zephyr seems to impose a mode of operation with a single thread when
there is not plenty of memory, contrary to RIOT.
- Zephyr seems to be using Contiki's network stack, which in our opinion is
This week some RIOTers have a booth at Embedded World in Nuremberg, where
Zephyr also has a booth + talk. Maybe we get some more info at this
If you (or anyone else) have more infos, impressions or opinions, please
On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 5:20 PM, Drasko DRASKOVIC <
drasko.draskovic at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi RIOT experts,
> any opinions on this:
> Looks like a very serious competitor.
> devel mailing list
> devel at riot-os.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the devel