[riot-devel] Support for Microchip MRF24J40 Radio Module

Bernhard Nägele bernhard at naegele-privat.de
Mon Feb 29 00:58:03 CET 2016

Hello everybody,
today I started to port the AT86RF2XX driver for the MRF24J40 radio module.
Hier I have 2 question:

1. At the module initialization I found the following comment:

/**
  * @brief   Set the transmission power of the given device [in dBm]
  *
  * If the device does not support the exact dBm value given, it will
set a value
  * as close as possible to the given value. If the given value is
larger or
  * lower then the maximal or minimal possible value, the min or max
value is
  * set, respectively.
  *
  * @param[in] dev           device to write to
  * @param[in] txpower       transmission power in dBm
  */
  void at86rf2xx_set_txpower(at86rf2xx_t *dev, int16_t txpower);

How should the txpower be coded? A int16 value in dBm ??? I don't
understand this.
The Atmel AT86RF231 has a tx-power range from -17dBm to +3dBm and the
MRF24J40
has a range from -30 to 0dBm. How fits this together with that comment
above?

2. From where could I get as fast as possible some OpenLabs 802.15.4
modules (delivery should be in 2-3 days, prefered in Germany)? At the
store of OpenLabs there is mentioned a
delivery time from about 2 weeks....this is to long for my purpose.

Best regards
Bernhard