[riot-devel] remote forking and scheduling

Hiesgen, Raphael Raphael.Hiesgen at haw-hamburg.de
Wed Jun 1 18:06:33 CEST 2016

Hi Arash,

forking a process for this purpose hasn’t been on my mind yet. Do you actually need to transfer processes or is the goal to offload work depending on collected input data or … what is the advantage of forking over, let’s say, message passing? You could run a process on a backend server that accepts messages, performs your calculations.

I do mention message passing because we are working to port the C++ Actor Framework (CAF) [1] to RIOT. Actors are lightweight entities that communicate via messages and are scheduled in a thread pool. We already got the core library working (although a lot has changed since), but the network layer still needs a lot of work to be suitable for IoT scenarios.

Would this fit your use-case? Are you looking for things like distributed scheduling or (pointing to a comment from one of your earlier emails) do you imagine the offloading process to be more automated and without the need for developers to implement the backend themselves?

Raphael

[1] https://github.com/actor-framework/actor-framework