[riot-devel] Raspberry Pi 3 and packet sniffing

Aaron Sowry aeneby at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 01:42:47 CEST 2016

Hi,

I know this doesn't have anything to do with RIOT in particular, but
since I know some of you are using the radio in question I thought I'd
ask here.

For testing I've been using a RPi 2 with Openlabs' 802.15.4 radio[1],
which was relatively easy to get working with Wireshark. The Pi
recently destroyed my SD card however, including all the config I'd
done to set it up, so I figured I'd start from scratch with an RPi 3.
I can't seem to get it working this time though, and I was just
wondering if anyone else had managed to use the RPi 3 with this radio
for packet sniffing? I can't think of any reason why it shouldn't
work, but although the radio is detected properly and is able to be
manipulated using 'iwpan', it never sees any packets (although I know
the packets are being sent correctly, because I can sniff them with
another RIOT node).

So, before I start blaming the hardware, I thought I'd ask - has
anyone else managed to do this successfully on the RPi 3 with
raspbian?

Cheers,
Aaron

[1] http://openlabs.co/store/Raspberry-Pi-802.15.4-radio