[riot-devel] Raspberry Pi 3 and packet sniffing

smlng s at mlng.net
Fri Jun 3 09:28:41 CEST 2016

Hey Aaron,

> Am 03.06.2016 um 01:42 schrieb Aaron Sowry <aeneby at gmail.com>:
>
> For testing I've been using a RPi 2 with Openlabs' 802.15.4 radio[1],
> which was relatively easy to get working with Wireshark. The Pi
> recently destroyed my SD card however, including all the config I'd
> done to set it up, so I figured I'd start from scratch with an RPi 3.
> I can't seem to get it working this time though, and I was just
> wondering if anyone else had managed to use the RPi 3 with this radio
> for packet sniffing? I can't think of any reason why it shouldn't
> work, but although the radio is detected properly and is able to be
> manipulated using 'iwpan', it never sees any packets (although I know
> the packets are being sent correctly, because I can sniff them with
> another RIOT node).
>
> So, before I start blaming the hardware, I thought I'd ask - has
> anyone else managed to do this successfully on the RPi 3 with
> raspbian?

I personally use the RasPi as a border router and gateway with the
openlabs transceiver. Unfortunately I haven't had the time to test
with the new RasPi 3B, yet.

This would be bad news, if my favorite setup isn't working with Pi3
anymore. I just ordered a Pi3 myself and will start testing next week,
I'll report back ASAP.

I assume you use latest Raspbian-Linux, with standard Kernel 4.4 and
DTS overlay [1] or a custom (self-compiled) Linux-Kernel based on
bluetooth-next (btn) branch?

Best,
  Sebastian