[riot-devel] Raspberry Pi 3 and packet sniffing

Alexander Aring alex.aring at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 10:46:56 CEST 2016

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 03, 2016 at 11:42:47AM +1200, Aaron Sowry wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know this doesn't have anything to do with RIOT in particular, but
> since I know some of you are using the radio in question I thought I'd
> ask here.
>
> For testing I've been using a RPi 2 with Openlabs' 802.15.4 radio[1],
> which was relatively easy to get working with Wireshark. The Pi
> recently destroyed my SD card however, including all the config I'd
> done to set it up, so I figured I'd start from scratch with an RPi 3.
> I can't seem to get it working this time though, and I was just
> wondering if anyone else had managed to use the RPi 3 with this radio
> for packet sniffing? I can't think of any reason why it shouldn't
> work, but although the radio is detected properly and is able to be
> manipulated using 'iwpan', it never sees any packets (although I know
> the packets are being sent correctly, because I can sniff them with
> another RIOT node).

Sounds like issue [0]. This patch was not sent back to stable since we
don't have any stable strategy, sorry.

Anyway the most workaround for this issue is to change the channel/page
when the wpan/monitor on the phy is "up" - then the phy doesn't go into
sleep state.

On RPi1 I never had such issue, but the RPi2/RPi3 seems to be faster and
then such race occur (Setting registers while sleeping - which does not
work on at86rf2xx). :-(

- Alex

[0] http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/bluetooth/bluetooth-next.git/commit/drivers/net/ieee802154/at86rf230.c?id=60f5f5d3a106dc5385b39348d13b20b15ac9cbf9