[riot-devel] Raspberry Pi 3 and packet sniffing

Aaron Sowry aeneby at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 11:11:15 CEST 2016

Hi Sebastian, Alexander,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm using the latest Raspbian which already
has the relevant DTS overlay and kernel features available. Basically
all I've done is add/uncomment the following lines in
/boot/config.txt, and reboot:

dtoverlay=at86rf233
dtparam=spi=on

I then set up the monitor interface (after compiling wpan-tools) with:

sudo iwpan phy phy0 interface add monitor0 type monitor
sudo ip link set monitor0 up
sudo iwpan phy phy0 set channel 0 <channel_no>

This was sufficient on the RPi 2 for running wireshark against
monitor0. I am getting some very strange behaviour now where maybe
once every 5 or 6 reboots the radio suddenly starts producing garbage
data whenever a packet is received, but rebooting results in the radio
going silent again. I've tried different SPI speeds, different
channels, different at86rf233 chips, even disabled the other two
radios (bluetooth and 802.11) to eliminate possible sources of
interference, but I'm left scratching my head. I wonder if my Pi is
faulty, or if there is some fundamental difference between v2 and
v3... it would be interesting to hear how you get on Sebastian!

Alex - since I'm doing the channel setting after bringing the monitor0
interface up, I shouldn't be affected by that bug right? Note that the
automatically-created wpan0 interface never gets brought up.

Regards,
Aaron