[riot-devel] Raspberry Pi 3 and packet sniffing

Aaron Sowry aeneby at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 11:30:16 CEST 2016


Hi,

Yeah I tried a few different speeds with no luck - according to the
docs the default is now 3 MHz anyway. If I could at least get garbled
packets *consistently* this would be a step in the right direction,
but the fact that it's sporadic makes debugging things rather
difficult...

/Aaron

2016-06-03 21:17 GMT+12:00 smlng <s at mlng.net>:
> Hi Aaron,
>
> you say you receive garbled packets? Sounds like an issue I also had, I fixed it by lowering SPI speed from the default 5 or 6 MHz to 3 MHz, however I thought the latter is now default anyway (@Alex?). I have to look it up, but may you can try some other values like 1 or 2 MHz?
>
> So edit `/boot/config.txt` setting `dtoverlay=at86rf233,speed=1000000` and reboot.
>
> Cheers,
>   Sebastian
>
>> Am 03.06.2016 um 11:11 schrieb Aaron Sowry <aeneby at gmail.com>:
>>
>> Hi Sebastian, Alexander,
>>
>> Thanks for the feedback. I'm using the latest Raspbian which already
>> has the relevant DTS overlay and kernel features available. Basically
>> all I've done is add/uncomment the following lines in
>> /boot/config.txt, and reboot:
>>
>> dtoverlay=at86rf233
>> dtparam=spi=on
>>
>> I then set up the monitor interface (after compiling wpan-tools) with:
>>
>> sudo iwpan phy phy0 interface add monitor0 type monitor
>> sudo ip link set monitor0 up
>> sudo iwpan phy phy0 set channel 0 <channel_no>
>>
>> This was sufficient on the RPi 2 for running wireshark against
>> monitor0. I am getting some very strange behaviour now where maybe
>> once every 5 or 6 reboots the radio suddenly starts producing garbage
>> data whenever a packet is received, but rebooting results in the radio
>> going silent again. I've tried different SPI speeds, different
>> channels, different at86rf233 chips, even disabled the other two
>> radios (bluetooth and 802.11) to eliminate possible sources of
>> interference, but I'm left scratching my head. I wonder if my Pi is
>> faulty, or if there is some fundamental difference between v2 and
>> v3... it would be interesting to hear how you get on Sebastian!
>>
>> Alex - since I'm doing the channel setting after bringing the monitor0
>> interface up, I shouldn't be affected by that bug right? Note that the
>> automatically-created wpan0 interface never gets brought up.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Aaron
>>
>> 2016-06-03 19:32 GMT+12:00 smlng <s at mlng.net>:
>>> Hey again,
>>>
>>> I forgot the pointer to [1]: https://github.com/RIOT-Makers/wpan-raspbian/wiki/Create-a-generic-Raspbian-image-with-6LoWPAN-support#31-transceiver-specific-device-tree-overlays
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>  Sebastian
>>>
>>>> Am 03.06.2016 um 09:28 schrieb smlng <s at mlng.net>:
>>>>
>>>> Hey Aaron,
>>>>
>>>>> Am 03.06.2016 um 01:42 schrieb Aaron Sowry <aeneby at gmail.com>:
>>>>>
>>>>> For testing I've been using a RPi 2 with Openlabs' 802.15.4 radio[1],
>>>>> which was relatively easy to get working with Wireshark. The Pi
>>>>> recently destroyed my SD card however, including all the config I'd
>>>>> done to set it up, so I figured I'd start from scratch with an RPi 3.
>>>>> I can't seem to get it working this time though, and I was just
>>>>> wondering if anyone else had managed to use the RPi 3 with this radio
>>>>> for packet sniffing? I can't think of any reason why it shouldn't
>>>>> work, but although the radio is detected properly and is able to be
>>>>> manipulated using 'iwpan', it never sees any packets (although I know
>>>>> the packets are being sent correctly, because I can sniff them with
>>>>> another RIOT node).
>>>>>
>>>>> So, before I start blaming the hardware, I thought I'd ask - has
>>>>> anyone else managed to do this successfully on the RPi 3 with
>>>>> raspbian?
>>>>
>>>> I personally use the RasPi as a border router and gateway with the
>>>> openlabs transceiver. Unfortunately I haven't had the time to test
>>>> with the new RasPi 3B, yet.
>>>>
>>>> This would be bad news, if my favorite setup isn't working with Pi3
>>>> anymore. I just ordered a Pi3 myself and will start testing next week,
>>>> I'll report back ASAP.
>>>>
>>>> I assume you use latest Raspbian-Linux, with standard Kernel 4.4 and
>>>> DTS overlay [1] or a custom (self-compiled) Linux-Kernel based on
>>>> bluetooth-next (btn) branch?
>>>>
>>>> Best,
>>>> Sebastian
>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> devel mailing list
>>>> devel at riot-os.org
>>>> https://lists.riot-os.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> devel mailing list
>>> devel at riot-os.org
>>> https://lists.riot-os.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
>> _______________________________________________
>> devel mailing list
>> devel at riot-os.org
>> https://lists.riot-os.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
>
> _______________________________________________
> devel mailing list
> devel at riot-os.org
> https://lists.riot-os.org/mailman/listinfo/devel


More information about the devel mailing list